Ayurveda In Oral Health Various procedures for maintaining oral hygiene are explained in detail under the topic of daily routines (Dinacharya) in all the classical texts of Ayurveda. These include brushing the teeth (Danta dhavana), massaging the teeth and gums (Pratisarana), tongue cleaning (Jivha nirlekhana), oil pulling (Gandush) and gargling or mouthwash (Kavala). Ayurveda recommends using herbs which are astringent, pungent or bitter in taste for brushing the teeth. Brushing should be done in such a way that it does not injure the gums.2 During gargling or mouthwash, the mouth is filled to 3/4 capacity with the medicated fluid. The fluid is swished in the mouth for a specific time and then spat out. Homemade Ayurvedic Toothpaste + Ayurvedic Tooth Powder Ingredients 1 Tbsp of equal parts neem leaf powder and holy basil powder 1 Tbsp mixture of the powdered herbs of sage, peppermint, clove and cinnamon 1 Tbsp spirulina pinch of rock salt or sea salt Directions
1. Take 1 Tbsp of neem leaf powder and holy basil (Tulsi) leaf powder in a mixing bowl.
2. Make 1 Tbsp of a fine mixture of these herbal powders: sage, peppermint, clove and cinnamon.
3. Add the above prepared powder to the mixing bowl along with Tulsi and neem powder.
4. Now add about a 1 Tbsp of spirulina and finely ground sea salt or rock salt into this mixture.
5. Mix all the powders thoroughly and voila! Your Ayurvedic tooth powder is ready.
6. Store this mixture in a clean airtight container.
Benefits Of Ayurvedic Toothpaste + Ayurvedic Tooth Powder Neem: Reduces the deposition of plaque, prevents dental caries and enhances the immune response for overall oral health.
Holy Basil (Tulsi): Treats bad breath, gum disease and mouth ulcers.
Sage: Antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties. It is recommended for sore throat, inflammation of the mouth and gingivitis.
Peppermint: Gives relief from toothache and gum inflammation. Clove: Antimicrobial, useful in odontalgia dental caries and toothache.
Cinnamon: Astringent, styptic, deodorant, useful in toothache, effective in controlling dental disease. Has a broad range of antimicrobial activity against the microbes causing dental caries.
Spirulina: Has strong anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects.
Rock Salt: Used as a teeth whitener or mouth freshener.
Sea Salt: Has antibacterial protection for the tooth enamel, astringent taste and speeds wound healing through reducing inflammation and contracting the tissues.