Shatavari is a climbing plant which grows in low jungles areas throughout India. This sweet and bitter herb is particularly balancing to Pitta Dosha.
In India, Shatavari is considered the women's equivalent to Ashwagandha. The name translates to "she who possesses 100 husbands", referring to the herbs rejuvanitive effect upon the female reproductive organs. In Australia the herb is more often used to treat gastrointestinal disorders and as an external wash for wounds.
The healing qualities of Shatavari are useful to a wide array of ailments. It is well known for it effects on the female reproductive system. It is also effective in a number of other systems of the body and is therefore of use to both men and women.
Botanical Name : Asparagus racemosus
Sanskrit -- Shatavari
Hindi -- Shatavari
English -- Indian Asparagus, Hundred Roots , Asparagus roots
Chinese - Tian men dong
Family : Asparagaceae
Effect on the Doshas: Vata: - Pitta: - Kapha: +
Rasa (Taste) : Madhura (sweet) ,Tikta (bitter)
Virya (Energy): shita (cold)
Vipak (Post-Digestive Action): madhura
Parts Used : Roots (Rhizomes), Shatavari root powder and leaves.
Shatavari Properties :
- Nutritive tonic, rejuvenative,
Shatavari is perhaps best known as a female rejuvanitive. It is useful for infertility, decreased libido, threatened miscarriage, menopause, leucorrhea and has the ability to balance pH in the cervical area. Dry membranes, such as those on the vaginal wall, are also brought into balance through the herbs demulcent action.
Men may benefit from the herb as well in the treatment of impotence and general sexual debility. In addition to it's applications for reproductive organs, Shatavari is also quite effective for stomach ulcers, hyperacidity and diarrhea. Dry and irritated membranes in the upper respiratory tract are soothed by this herb making it useful in cases of bronchitis and chronic fevers. It is believed to bring into balance all of the body's fluids.
Shatavari Medicinal Uses:
The most important herb in Ayurvedic medicine for women.Used internally for infertility, loss of libido, threatened miscarriage, menopausal problems. It both nourishes and cleanses the blood and the female reproductive organs. It is a good food for menopause or for those who have had hysterectomies, as it supplies many female hormones. It nourishes the ovum and increases fertility. This herb is known to increase Sattva, or positivity and healing power. It also enhances the feelings of spiritual love, and increases Ojas.
The male reproductive system will also benefit from Shatavari. It may be used in cases of sexual debility, impotence, spermatorrhea, and inflammation of sexual organs.
Shatavari is also useful for hyperacidity, stomach ulcers, dysentery, and bronchial infections.
Shatavari Benefits / Benefits of Shatavari:
- Shatavari supports reproductive health by toning and nourishing the female reproductive organs
- Shatavari maintains healthy hormonal balance
- Shatavari treats PMS symptoms by relieving pain and controlling blood loss during menstruation.
- Shatavari supports normal production of breast milk for nursing mothers
- Shatavari relieves menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes. By producing estrogens it makes up for low estrogen levels in women who are menopausal or have had hysterectomies or oophorectomies
- Used in India as a best-known and most often-used herb for women
- Shatavari supports normal function of the immune and digestive system
- Shatavari also increases libido
Shatavari Side effects:
1. Sensitivity to asparagus may cause skin reactions and pulmonary allergic reactions in some people.
2. According to Natural Standard, patients with edema due to kidney disorder or impaired heart function should not be using shatavari.
3. One should keep watch on possible weight gain while using Shatavari.
Contraindications (Cautions): massive fibrocystic breasts, estrogen induced problems, estrogen induced fibrocystic changes or other problems
SHATAVARI KALPA: is a well known Ayurvedic invigorating health drink for all . Shatavari roots have been recognised in Ayurveda as a drug acting on all tissues as a powerful anabolic. It is good for eyes, muscles, reproductive organs, increases milk secretion and helps to regain vigour and vitality. Velchi is added as aromatic, stimulant, carminative and flavouring agent. Useful in Hyperacidity and can be used regularly as a food supplement.
It is an Ayurvedic health drink recommended for regular use for entire family.
Dosage and Administration - 2 tablespoon full to be taken twice a day with milk .